Marseille is in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region.
Marseille is in the (13) Bouches du Rhône departement
Map of Marseille in the Bouches du Rhône
Marseille is in the Bouches du Rhône department of the Provence-Alpes-Azur region.One of the ancient Mediterranean ports has grown into a huge cosmopolitan city.
Marseille is one of France's oldest cities dating back more than 2000 years, the ancient name is Phocaea. One of Europe's most important ports in maritime history.
A new port now handles the cargo, whilst the old port is for pleasure and a great place to have a dink.
- Adolphe Thiers( 1797-1877 ), first president of the Third Republic
- Fernandel ( 1903-1971 ), actor
- Zinedine Zidane ( 1972 ), French footballer
- César Baldaccini (1921–1998 ), sculptor
- Désirée Clary ( 1777–1860 ), wife of King Carl XIV of Sweden
- The French poet Arthur Rimbaud died in Marseille the 10th of November 1891