Bouches du Rhône : 13
Marseille is in the Bouches du Rhône department of the Provence-Alpes-Azur regionOne of the ancient Mediterranean ports has grown into a huge cosmopolitain city.
Marseille is one of France's oldest cities dating back more than 2000 years, the ancient name is Phocaea. One of Europe's most important ports in maritime history.
A new port now handles the cargo, whilst the old port is for pleasure and a great place to have a dink.
- Adolphe Thiers( 1797-1877 ), first president of the Third Republic
- Fernandel ( 1903-1971 ), actor
- Zinedine Zidane ( 1972 ), French footballer
- César Baldaccini (1921–1998 ), sculpter
- Désirée Clary ( 1777–1860 ), wife of King Carl XIV of Sweden
- The French poet Arthur Rimbaud died in Marseille the 10th of November 1891